chaos control ideas

...futuristic assault-hovercraft racing at high-speed...
Wolf
developer.

chaos control ideas

Post by Wolf »

ill put some thoughts in here for the moment as i cant acess the dev forums

ash mentioned today that the cars in CC are no longer going to have wheels

i think this will be a good move given the futuristic nature of the game

i am wondering if anybody has played HI OCTANE?
its a realy old game with very very simlar design goals as CC
its even older than syndicate wars
made by bullfrog

it was an awesome game for quite a few reasons
the best of wich was its simplisity
every "car" had the same guns = miniguns + rockets
the mini guns had unlimited ammo
but rockets had to be collected
ur guns can be upgraded with pick ups as too your engines
and u loose upgrades ect when u get killed
there was about 6 differnt vehicles each with a differnt look and stats to go with the look

ultra simple , ultra fun , realy crazy ultra fast paced hover car game
great sound effects and sweet graphics for its time

if chaos control turns out to be half as good as HI OCTANE it would be a winner for sure
[img]http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Wolf72/Wolf1.jpg[/img]
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Hi-Octane was really cool and our project is already showing strong similarities. I won't talk about it much here but I think those who like Hi-Octane will hopefully also like Chaos Circuits, if they don't mind the detailed graphics. 8)
You _should_ be able to post in the private topics now. I'm having some admin problems assigning users to groups and setting permissions per group, instead of permissions per user which is a bit of a pain. I'll need to get some help with that, I think.
[PT] TANIA
guest.

Post by [PT] TANIA »

Didn't want to give any opinion untill i read the doc very well.. but i remember i played this game with my brother and i liked to have the "Back To The Future" car :D

Was an interesting game, maybe to have both types of cars? Or even more?

Because if you have flying cars, you can't skid/drift (or whatever the expression is).. which many people like :)

also hi-octane didn't had much success.. maybe lack of publicity, but i remembet that the game was "ahead" of its time :)
Last edited by [PT] TANIA on (050505)(11:05.35), edited 2 times in total.
Wolf
developer.

Post by Wolf »

yeah i rember the one car ur talking about tania
i can rember my favorite but have no idea on how to describe it
it was fairly unique
but they were all cool, even the truck one , with its slow speed and uber damage, its combo still let it win vs the realy fast ones
[img]http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Wolf72/Wolf1.jpg[/img]
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

I have Hi-Octane here, I downloaded it from an abandonware site which I've been trying to track down again, if you guys want to check it out. If I can't, I guess I can upload it, if I downloaded it as abandonware then I have no problem uploading it to my site temporarily, although being a DOS game it takes some tweaking to get it working properly on a 9x+ OS
LordEzzat
developer.

Post by LordEzzat »

[PT] TANIA wrote:Didn't want to give any opinion untill i read the doc very well.. but i remember i played this game with my brother and i liked to have the "Back To The Future" car :D

Was an interesting game, maybe to have both types of cars? Or even more?

Because if you have flying cars, you can't skid/drift (or whatever the expression is).. which many people like :)

also hi-octane didn't had much success.. maybe lack of publicity, but i remembet that the game was "ahead" of its time :)

If you can find me some pictures of the delorian(thats the car from back ot the future) I could model it and spice it up a bit fr the game,but refrence pictures could help either email them to me r give the to Ash man so i can pull them out of the foldiers Im gonn abe workin gon some more hover soon so see what you can do i will too..but the moe the marrier:) :twisted:
[PT] TANIA
guest.

Post by [PT] TANIA »

Ok, will do it later :) if you want i can do with more cars.. but after my exams ;)
LordEzzat
developer.

Post by LordEzzat »

Hey all just wanted to appoligize for not posting much or beig around much i recently had a total harddrive loss due to a virus froma downloading site TUCOWS i dont ever recomend this site i heard this from alot of people..anyways i lost over 80 gigs worth of files etc 160gig hardive and everythign was lost models,designs etc so im trying to scan more and will be posting soon as well when i can ..tania could you possibly resend those pictures to me again at my email i lost those tooo...sigh..anyways srry again and hope to be thriving soon single dad work is hard and living can be even harder somtimes lol ..anyways peace out all :)
Rooster128
visitor.

Post by Rooster128 »

found the Chaos Control site via looking on google for TSE today. oh my gosh, it so takes me back to the days of Megarace. I actually had the impulse to download a DOS emulator today and throw in Megarace to play it. No audio, but still the same addictive game it was.

Any of you play Megarace? Chaos Control looks a lot like it. Tell you what, that is one of the classic greats to PC gaming, in my mind. So addictive. I don't think the 2nd or 3rd one lived up to the first though. Hi-Octane looks like fun too.

I was almost considering joing the team for Chaos Control. I am a skinner and mapper for RenWerx (renwerx.com) and we are in the process of making a Tribes-like game on TSE, it's starting to look really good.

Never really worked on a racer before, and have had most of my time dedicated to RenWerx, but boy, who could pass up a chance to work on a game like Megarace? :-P

Is this place still alive by any chance?
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Yep. It's called Chaos Circuits and if you can help us out then that would be great. I've never played Megarace but I'll try to track it down. You're welcome to check out more of the forum now and tell us what you think :)
Rooster128
visitor.

Post by Rooster128 »

sweeeeeet.

I swear Megarace is so much fun.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

It turns out I have played this, it's pretty good. To be honest, this is the kind of thing we're having a lot of trouble achieving:-
[ external image ]
The editors for the engine really have their limitations with curved+curved surfaces with proper collision and just about every time I've tried to manually model this kind of thing (brush by brush which takes ages!) and actually do something decent, the file will get corrupted and ruin all of the alignments. Not to say we'll never be able to do it, we're still looking into it.

I tracked down the demo of Megarace 3 if anyone else is interested:-

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/demo2.asp?id=2530
Last edited by LDAsh on (080920)(21:09.59), edited 1 time in total.
Rooster128
visitor.

Post by Rooster128 »

Yea, Megarace 2 and 3 didn't really do the original justice. They were good games, true, but the original Megarace, that was effing insane.

One thing that a few of us over at RenWerx have been looking into is to get 'patches' to work in TSE. Patches would allow us to basically use something like splines. curved objects would be effortless to make, and roads would be no issue. I think its based on vectors rather than primitives. But yes, if you got patches to work. I don't know if other map editors use it, but I know Radiant does. not sure if they put out to .dif either.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

We can do spline shaping with the terrain mesh, that works really nicely and all, but it's not the same as having enclosed shapes like DIFs for continuous driving environment with those kind of curves. You can apparently use Radiant to make DIFs, although that's strictly not for commercial purposes and I'm not sure about the collision behaviours, it was only tested with an FPS Torque project, I think, and all other editors pretty much do the same thing, even if you get a decent MAP file made, no gaurantee you'll get a proper DIF version out of it.
Rooster128
visitor.

Post by Rooster128 »

yea with the different map2difs out for TSE now. but, c'mon, I'm mapping for a game much like Tribes 2, and mapping in Tribes 2 (which used the Torque Game Engine) required heavy use of a .map editor and the map2dif utility. it usually proved quite sturdy. the same goes for TSE, .difs are pretty stable, and, after all, they ARE the interior file that is normally used. and by splines I was referring to the 'patching' that is capable with editors like Radiant. not sure if .dif supports patches, but I've heard it does. with that, you can easily get the roadways you want. **shrugs** I try to keep myself in tune, but maybe I am wrong somewhere along these lines, I am not sure.

I've played by share of zero-G racers too. :-P
Rooster128
visitor.

chaos control ideas

Post by Rooster128 »

is this game gonna use wheels? I wish it would haha