Ulterior Warzone milestone

...real-time strategy in a fight for the ultimate technology...
LDAsh
moderator.

Ulterior Warzone milestone

Post by LDAsh »

Yes, Ulterior Warzone has reached a wonderful milestone of being playable with all essential graphics in place! From the very few bits of unreleased media to see, we've received some great positive feedback. All that's left is the polish, and the project has an absolute clear path to follow with practically nothing to stand in its way. The deadline is still roughly mid-year, I estimate toward the end of June, this will be an exciting and important time for the team. Stay tuned!

I haven't talked about this much on this forum, and since this project is the main priority with everything else on hold, it would seem everything here is dead. Far from it. If you have any interest in UW then here isn't really the place to find out anything, but instead you can head on over to:-
http://z11.invisionfree.com/amplituds/
and you'll find all kinds of information about some of the features the game will have. I can assure you, the features are many, and many are great! That forum is where all the technical things are discussed, and since the tiny graphics it needs are no-brainers, there's not much point raising discussion about it here, however feel free to ask or suggest anything. Still no screenshots or videos for public display, but if you IM me I might feel care-free enough to share some progress with you.
Public media release will take place roughly the same time as the project is finished, I guess, like I said, probably around the end of June or early July, or maybe earlier. It's hard to know, but definitely no later than early July. At which point, regardless of what happens, Shadowing Hate and Chaos Circuits will see some major and extensive progress, with or without a team.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Dark Knight ez
developer.

Post by Dark Knight ez »

End of June? I so need to get my ass in gear. xD
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Well, that deadline can be shuffled of course, it's more up to you than it is up to me, to be sure. But I still think I will (and want to) have all essential assets ready by that time to get organised some portfolio of the project, screenshots and footage. Doesn't need 80MB deep rich cinematics or a lush 20-minute soundtrack for that, that stuff may take yet another month or 2 (at most!) after.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Dark Knight ez
developer.

Post by Dark Knight ez »

I dislike shuffling, but it might be necessary. Who knows?
Jurassiced
visitor.

Post by Jurassiced »

Its lookng to be the largest DS homebrew to date cant wait ^^
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Yeah, all these delays have only made the game bigger, and we are still working on it. I can give away a few spoilers here I think. For one, the game will contain just shy of 100 maps to play, roughly. Secondly, some maps take up to an hour to play through, and that's not just dawdling, that's serious warfare and still up to an hour to win through, because of the size of the maps versus the enemy occupancy. Even the smallest and simplest map takes no less than 2 minutes to get through, so, this game will definitely take many many many hours of play to win through, even more to earn all gold medals for secret unlockables. ;)

Also, we've managed to squeeze in a complete "game guide" into the game itself, so the player is able to learn all about the game, unit/structure stats and info, from within the game itself, almost no need to carry the manual around at all.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Jurassiced
visitor.

Post by Jurassiced »

and the modability of the game? will there be any? add new units edit maps ect.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

That will depend on a number of things. We'll let everyone know shortly.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Jurassiced
visitor.

Post by Jurassiced »

just checking up its almost june and this is the only game im waiting for =D release date? no demos or anything =\ ahh well well ill be waiting
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Pretty much all graphics are finalised now and will be as good as they will ever get, all units, structures, projectiles, environment and GUI. Pretty much everything is working correctly, a whole bunch of new stuff has been done such as single-player objectives and the game now featuring its own encyclopedia. It now has too many new visual effects to name, the game now breathes and feels alive, the battles are like random fireworks. We pretty much managed to do everything we initially wanted to do, and more, and working around all the things that made it less enjoyable. All that's left is filling in the main chunks of single-player campaign stuff, voice-acting, rendering cinematics, more music, those kind of details, but what us 2 developers currently have is definitely worthy of a demo release. I'm not trying to talk this up, but it's fact, it is going to end up to be an EPIC damn game, ~128MB, 72 stages, if anything it will demand too many hours to play through.
I'm not sure exactly what will happen within the next month or so, but something will.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Dark Knight ez
developer.

Post by Dark Knight ez »

HA! That deadline of June was of '08 if you check carefully.
Funny how it's a year later now and that we're indeed close to completion. :p
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Yes but back then the game had 1 environment, no extra environment tiles, less units, no animated structures, no in-game guides, etc. etc., way less graphics in general. We decided to expand what the game can hold, and with that came all the workload and responsibility, but it's a much more substantial game now, by far.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Dark Knight ez
developer.

Post by Dark Knight ez »

I was merely trying to say how I think it was funny Jurassiced thought the June deadline still applied (to this year), while in fact it's a year old and obviously obsolete. :)
I fulheartedly agree with you, of course. Ulterior Warzone of a year ago was nowhere near as complete package as it is today.