Another ball game

...physics puzzles and crushing humans as a freeware release...
LDAsh
moderator.

Another ball game

Post by LDAsh »

════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
DiViNiTY
developer.

Re: Another ball game

Post by DiViNiTY »

Hi LDAsh,

screenshots are looking good.
is this going to be marble madness or like neverball http://neverball.org/

Neoaxis engine is very nice, i already tried the free version with C# Express.
EmoLevelDesigner
developer.

Post by EmoLevelDesigner »

There is a nice rainy atmosphere on the screenshot. Good work at the textures and their bumpmaps&reflection maps. The design shows nice 3-d layout and good use of curves.

The skybox looks cool, but I think that adding actual 3D terrain will make the scene a lot more realistic. You can look at Mass Effect's uncharted worlds as a reference, they have 3D terrain + skybox.

The idea of making a game where player has to roll a ball is very unoriginal. Do you have something that is so original that it will make your game stunning and will make the player forget that it's just another ball game? Example of such idea: The Ball game, where the player walks around and uses a special weapon to attract and push the ball, and the ball is used as a tool to crush enemies and solve puzzles.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. The whole deal concerning Damager Ball here is that it won't be 'just another ball game', but 'a game with balls' in which you can launch robotic turrets with various changeable weapons, so this adds a FPS element to the game, although they are weak and move incredibly slowly, if at all, depending on where you launch them, but it would be the only way of attacking anything at a distance. You are indeed required to squish human beings underneath, but only certain types of businessmen and the police and military forces that wish to protect them. I guess it becomes a bit Grand Theft Auto in this regard, but other innocent lower-class civilians in the ghettos need to be protected, while upper-class suburbs and inner-city skyscrapers are fair game for destruction.

It would also be a bit of a technical precursor to more elaborate projects to sprout from, but unfortunately the project is yet to be find a capable programmer. The programmer I was working with before has since been eliminated from the team due to crappy-nappy attitudes and the couple of programmers I've talked to since want to take complete control of documents and do not a whole lot else, which isn't acceptable conduct for proper game development.

I'm not giving up, though. :)
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
EmoLevelDesigner
developer.

Post by EmoLevelDesigner »

This sounds interesting, I look forward to see it in action. When things will be prototyped, playtests will show which idea works, and which isn't, and what should be changed.

I hope you'll find capable programmer eventually.
Incinerator
visitor.

Post by Incinerator »

This map is really cool. But in order to make it NA friendly it needs bones in locations to mark center points or position points for moving objects.

Incin notes for changes DB MAP:

1. Remove the stilts on the map. Makes it hard to add items in the Map editor.

2. Remove the objects that you expect to move as separate items, like the center piece and the spinners in the mesh.

Reason being I can add physics models to make them naturally spin and can add damage to each object type. If they need special classes made I can do that as well.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

We've been over this before. We don't need bones when we already have coords. Definitely things should be spinning around and I will do that when I get around to it, we can add that to the project's to-do list, but I just don't see it as a priority. This was only ever meant to be some screenshots for the time being to spark some interest in the project itself. As for the stilts, I will probably keep them in there. Again, taking the exact coords from Radiant is the way to go, I'm not sure exactly why the stilts interfere with anything. I never had problems with that. I remember you saying you wanted the platforms off the stilts so you can put multiple platforms all over the place, but that's not the way my map is going to be designed, sorry.

You're welcome to begin making your own map when you finally get Radiant/Blender workflow setup for yourself. ;)
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════