New Business:Real-life Dollars Buy In-game Gold?

...walrus thug-for-hire? Knock yourself out...
icanfly
visitor.

New Business:Real-life Dollars Buy In-game Gold?

Post by icanfly »

Will people pay real dollars for in-game virtual money to help their virtual characters buy in-game goods?

One gamer, who goes by the screen name Haylo, said he spent $10 to $20 real dollars a month on in-game platinum(all nonexistent, of course) to buy weapons and other goods in Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC), but would spend more if he could afford it.

Most video games have some form of currency. In many ways, the in-game economy is similar to a real world economy - goods and services are traded to mutual advantage and are mediated in currency (platinum, gold, credit,etc.). "With all the things you can buy in game," a gamer said, "it's hard not to want them, just like real-life stuff."

The average Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game(MMORPG) player is 27-year-old -- a demographic drooled over by marketers. Plus, nearly half of all players have jobs, which often means they have more money than time and are the perfect consumers of virtual assets. On the Internet, many gamers now buy virtual money that only exist as data files stored in a server run by a game company with real-world dollars, and the buying and selling of virtual currencies may be off most people's radar, but it is truly big business.

An online broker, who goes by the screen name Rolala, was not a fan of online games until his 15-year-old son became interested in Final Fantasy XI. He then noticed that a large number of gils which are the currencies used in FFXI were for sale on eBay.

"I started hearing about players leaving the game who were selling their assets at cheap prices," he said, "so I figured, buy low, sell high."

But Rolala found his moneymaking options in FFXI "very limited". He switched toWorld of Warcraft. There, he has leveraged his real-life experience into an online business. He converts his game profits into real money on sites like and Cheap WOW Gold,etc. Earnings can be considerable. He said he was on track to earn about $120,000 in real money in his first year in this business.

Rolala's business is just one example of how increasingly popular online role-playing games have created a shadow economy in which the lines between the real world and the virtual world are getting blurred.

"World of Warcraft", the world's largest MMORPG, boasts more than 1 million paying users in North America.There are many sites like wow gold free strategics, teaching gamers how to earn wow gold in game for free, however many players are still willing to buy gold and weapons to help their virtual characters get a higher virtual status more rapidly. Some virtual goods in World of Warcraft have been sold for thousands of dollars. It obviously creates a large real world market.

Edward Castronova, an economics professor at Indiana University who has written a book on the subject, calculated that if you took the real dollars spent within "EverQuest "as an index, its game world, called Norrath, would be the 77th richest nation on the planet, while annual player earnings surpass those of citizens of Bulgaria, India or China.

Go to GameUSD, an exchange-rate calculator for the virtual worlds, and do a search for the latest rates of virtual currencies against the U.S. dollar, and let your jaw drop open. The rates of some virtual world currencies are even better than that of the Iraqi Dinar! For instance, here is the recent exchange rate of several popular virtual currencies:, etc.

Right now, this business is one of the most hotly debated issues on the internet. Many game companies such as Blizzard who run World of Warcraft discourage profit from in-game properties, though none have found a way to stop it.

Sony Online Entertainment, on the other hand, encourages the practice (albeit within the confines of their own "Station Exchange", their own forum for the sale of in-game properties). It recently announced the first month's figures from "Station Exchange". According to SOE, over 45,000 characters from "EverQuest 2" have been active on the exchange and have spent over $180,000 USD in one month, half of which have been spent on in-game gold and platinum.

Despite of different attitudes towards virtual currency trade, the number of people who are getting into such business is rising, and the size of market has been expanding very rapidly.The market also creates a competitive environment. We could refer to sites like Cheap World of Warcraft Gold, a price comparison site, to see the fierce price competition between different exchange sites.

For some ordinary gamers, however, such a capitalist approach spoils the experience. Nick Yee, a psychology researcher from Stanford University, believes many players dislike virtual currency traders because, by using real wealth to buy virtual power, "they're breaking the fantasy-reality bubble, getting an advantage in a way that other players can't".

According to a recent survey by IGN, an internet media focused on the videogame markets, most gamers say they dislike and avoid this business, believing that it gives players with more discretionary income an unfair advantage.

But such attitudes are called into question by size estimates for the virtual asset trading market, which is seen having a value of $200 million to nearly $900 million in 2005.

One potential explanation for the disconnection between attitudes and money spent may be that gamers are unwilling to admit they use the services, IGN said.

In terms of the law's concern, another issue is, who owns the virtual money? Many virtual world designers maintain that anything created in the world belong to the company. They refuse to recognise the rights of their players in the virtual property for fear of attracting liability for its maintenance or security.

But will this work in the long term? Players spend considerable time and/or money acquiring such assets. In many cases they are the creation of the player and even the intellectual property ownership is questionable. "As we spend more time in these worlds, it's not enough for companies to say that 'we own everything and we can turn it off at any time,'" said a gamer. "The question may soon be should we have recourse against a game company for obliterating virtual assets?"

With the rapid growth of virtual currency exchange market, should people accord virtual property the same protection as property in the real world?
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Well we here is simple indie folk. I had a quick read and I don't like talk of trying to squeeze more dollars out of gamers when it's already well good enough if they even pay real money to play the game in the first place, it's greedy to take advantage of gamers that way, make them play to earn their way through it (you know like every other game in history) instead of just punching in daddy's credit card number in order to beat the final boss. Bring back the old premature arthritis developing multi-ultra-hyper-combo days!
And maybe I misunderstand but it will be surely the end of the world when there is a copyright or patent on every little thing that exists in the universe and individual grains of sand are slapped with a price tag should its existence even enter into your mind for one short moment and therefore not only is it strictly impossible for tiny independent game developers to exist but shall all suffer eternal continuous extreme pain and suffering beyond forever for even attempting.
Anyway, I don't know, is this spam or what? None of this stuff concerns us as a development team.
JCH321
developer.

Post by JCH321 »

It confuses me as well. It's spam, but it's not spam. I mean, it's wholeheartedly some sure-fire information, but it is useless in our contexts, even though this IS the General Discussion area.

HRMMMMM!!!

Guess we can just delete it?

This never happened. *red light from the Men in Black memory thingy*
LordEzzat
developer.

Post by LordEzzat »

I hate Crap liek this dude delete it ...tired of them in WOW tired of them out of wow delete the bastard.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Heheh well it stirs up conversation here, at least :P
DeeP
developer.

Post by DeeP »

I won't be able to sleep at night till you guys delete this!
I'm feeling "Violated"

:x
You're the nicest func_mover I've ever met.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

I don't want to delete it, it raises an interesting subject. Will games become pay-per-play and orientate around WoW-style tactics, due to piracy? I think something has to give at some point. I'm personally not too worried about piracy and don't see game development as get-rich-quick like some people I know do, but the entire artform is shifting and changing regardless, all based on money, and it needs to be paid attention to.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
DeeP
developer.

Post by DeeP »

I see your point. I was just kidding, and actually if I was really into a role playing game, and a couple of bucks could enhance the experience... I might consider it
You're the nicest func_mover I've ever met.