New website for '12

...discuss the website, forum and other web-related stuff...
LDAsh
moderator.

New website for '12

Post by LDAsh »

Over the next heap of whiles we'll be betatesting the new website and slowly working on it and improving it online here:-
http://www.violae.net/_/2/
Please feel welcome to post your feedback and suggestions, what you'd like to see implemented and what you'd like to see changed. This URL will be active while in the betatesting process, then we'll take everything down and get ready to officially launch the new site on the proper domain. Anything could change in the meantime.

I don't like to future-talk too much anymore, but as a rough estimate, I hope to get the new website up, new content to show with it, and ready for new recruits into the team by the middle of the year.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Re: New website for '12

Post by LDAsh »

I'm still working on this and really hoping for feedback and suggestions. What should the site have?

In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with it. I've had some great help from a couple of webdesigners here and there, no hands-on support as such but I've learned enough to do all of this by myself so far. Now I'm looking into getting a functional menu and I will spend some time on some different text layouts for potential different parts of the site.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Making much more progress now and have a funky new, highly customised, multiple-sublevel menu system working. It's what I've always wanted and finally it turns out the code is pretty simple to understand and was free to use, without any bulky scripts or unwanted bits. The new site does have its problems, but as I've been looking around a lot of the sites I visit regularly, I realise that almost all websites share the same issues and I've decided not to invoke headaches worrying about it any more. I'm mainly talking about ridiculous scalability levels, from HD cinema size, to Hans Moleman vision. The site resizes well enough, from 800x600 to 1920x1080, but beyond that, it starts to fail. I will just hope the issues could still be addressed in the future, after it has been fully developed and uploaded. I've paid the most attention to compatibility, especially low-tech stuff and printing, so unlike the "old" site (the way it is now) the new one will actually make sense on phones, handhelds and in basic text form, and not be destroyed by massive amounts of failed graphics decoration clogging up the HTML.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

The new site is almost finished now:-
http://www.violae.net/_/7/
It's taken me so long but that's because I'm not a webdesigner. You can tell by how I'm not obnoxious and continually getting around demanding thousands of dollars from people. :D Not perfect, but does everything I wanted it to do and it's the best I can possibly do, without learning deep into Java and Flash, which I wouldn't find enjoyable. Best of all, all it really required was Wordpad.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════