New forum (2015) & site tweaks

...discuss the website, forum and other web-related stuff...
LDAsh
moderator.

New forum (2015) & site tweaks

Post by LDAsh »

I've finally updated the forum here to phpBB 3.1.6, and the old style was not compatible so I had to redo it, not that the old one was any good. There's still a few things I'd like to fix and customise which I'm not quite sure how to do yet, but one day later I will get around to it. The major problems with both the site and forum is that they aren't very "mobile-friendly" and I'm not nearly enough of a webdesigner to take care of that. I don't think it's a wise idea for me to be obsessing about the site and forum when content to go into them is much more important.
The website has had some major changes "under the hood" which aren't very obvious, but I managed to shave a whole bunch of HTML off the pages so it means I can begin throwing more stuff into it. I've also added some social media links, much to my dismay, which will however become a lot more useful into the future.

As always, any problems or suggestions, please feel welcome to post your thoughts here... :idea:
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Re: New forum (2015) & site tweaks

Post by LDAsh »

I also updated the chat client page, which now uses KiwiIRC instead of the old Freenode one, which introduced a terrible new CAPTCHA system which was just too big for its boots, in my opinion, where as this new KiwiIRC works better (no CAPTCHA) and looks much better too, with a lovely dark skin to match the rest of the (default dark-blue) site. I've also made an optional popup window so it can float out like some separate app and not interfere with navigating the rest of the site, which is now also the default for the forum too. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not, but it doesn't make sense to keep jumping back and forth between the site and forum like that, so better to have it as a popup, I think. Ideally, anyone wanting to spend sufficient time in the channel would get their own client anyway, but for me personally, I like this approach.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════