We are currently looking for... (outdated)

...want to contribute to or join the team?...
LDAsh
moderator.

We are currently looking for... (outdated)

Post by LDAsh »

Refer to new topic for updated recruiting information:-
http://violationentertainment.com/forum ... .php?t=226
Last edited by LDAsh on (080327)(16:03.12), edited 2 times in total.
KC Clark
developer.

Post by KC Clark »

Hey LD, I uploaded another small Tex pak. This time I got smart about it. I scaled down all the textures and it's a measly 123 KB. So you ought to be able to download it in a minute or two. Now I'm assuming you have some kind of Image Editing program. Just re-size to what ever suits you.
If you want more maybe you could give me an idea of what kind of theme you want for your project and I'll keep that in mind when I'm texturing. Oh, the file can be found with that link I sent in a PM to you on that "Other Forum" :lol:
Changing the world one pixel at a time!
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Hey thanks, but I'm not sure how useful 123KB would be. :P
And I wonder if you're posting in this recruiting section to imply you wish to join the development of the team projects? You'd be very welcome! I've already given you full access to the entire private section of the forum so you can see the behind-the-scenes progress of the projects, like the new character models in the Shadowing Hate WIP section, even if you're not interested in directly joining the team, any Doom3world.org regular is welcome here. :)
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
KC Clark
developer.

Post by KC Clark »

I kept the size down so you could download it easier. You mentioned it would be difficult to download my 203 MB "fatty" file with 56k. All the .tga's are like 64 x 64 (ed previews 32 x 32). Just resize them to 512 x 512. It's really just another sample pak.
I'll join up but I'll have to work it around the whole Job/Family thing. There's always the weekends. :wink:
Anyway, keep in mind, I am just starting out with the whole texture thing.
I mean, I can crank out basic static textures all day long. I am learning to work with scrolling/animated stuff as well as alpha channel and heightmap things. I don't know much about UV texturing...yet.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Some good previews there. It's pretty much impossible to resample these images up to 512x512 from +-64x64 and use them, that goes against the texture filtering used, so original texture sizes need to be as sharp, clear and detailed as possible, and any blurriness should be achieved through real-time texture filters.
As for UV mapping, it really depends on the model, if you have the 3D object to see real-time while you texture it, it makes things 1000x easier.
If you'd like any help with material scripts, feel free to ask, I've done plenty of interesting materials and more than happy to post example scripts, either here or on Doom3world.org. And I'll get around to downloading your "fatty" pack ASAP. :)
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
KC Clark
developer.

Post by KC Clark »

I'm not sure why you shouldn't be able to resize them. I did them originally at 512 x 512 and shrunk them down before I uploaded them.
Hmm... Interesting.
Anyway, I've got a little bit of scripting experience. I wrote on up where the Doom 3 rover comes tearing out of a garage and then get's blasted by three missle strikes. Funny stuff.
I've got Blender but I'm totally lost with it.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

I can resize (resample) them no problem, but they will end up looking like dog-turd going from 64x64->512x512, you can only ever resample down from large sizes, never up, because the quality is lost forever and no magic software can get it back.
Can't say I've used Blender too much, though I have it installed on both my machines, but mainly just for extra software for exporting/importing different formats, never once used it for actual modelling. :P
If you have some scripting experience, you can be of great benefit! I need to do some (simple) scripting for a short cinematic, so I can get a comparison video for this thread:-
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... =2&t=21149
I want to show differing assets (materials, textures and some model components too) while keeping _exactly_ the same viewpoint (camera angle) between both. I just can't get my cameras to point at a target, no matter what I do. Maybe you'd be able to help me with that? I'd greatly appreciate that. Every tutorial I read goes right into how to follow spline paths and all this other fancy stuff, none mention simply pointing a camera at a target.
If you have MSN/ICQ/AIM/YIM/IRC then it'd be great to have a chat sometime. :)
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
KC Clark
developer.

Post by KC Clark »

I did a resize ver. of that last file if you're interested. I had no idea it would mess up the images by scaling down. I was trying to save on download time.
Here's some code for a cinematic setup:

Code: Select all

void start_camera_spline()

{

$anchor.time(45);
        $anchor.accelTime(1);
        $anchor.decelTime(1);
        $anchor.disableSplineAngles(); 
        $anchor.startSpline($camera_spline);

}

void update_camera()
{
   sys.threadname("aim_loop");  
   while (1)
   {

sys.trigger($target_setkeyval_1);

sys.waitFrame(); 
   }
}

void camera_script()
{
   sys.setCamera($func_cameraview_1);
   start_camera_spline();
   thread update_camera(); 
   $cin_kc_player_1.show();
    character mychar = $cin_kc_player_1;
   mychar.playCustomCycle( "idle", 0 );
   mychar.playCycle( ANIMCHANNEL_TORSO, "idle");  
   sys.waitFor($anchor);
   sys.killthread("aim_loop");
   sys.wait(.25);
   $cin_kc_player_1.remove();
   sys.firstPerson();
}
That's the script

entityDef cin_kc_player {
"inherit"                  "character_default"
"model"                     "model_sp_marine"
"talktrigger"                                           "1"
"anim"                     "idle"
"def_head"                  "head_player"
"head_joint"               "Shoulders"
"cinematic"                  "1"
"gib"                     "0"
"model_gib"                ""
}
And that's a .def file, for Doom 3 of course.
Add a target_null in the chest area of the cin_player to keep the camera aimed at it.
I got some help setting this up from my "go-to" guy on Doom3World.org.
Anyway, give it a try and let me know how it works out. Also, I'm in the (slow) process of downloading MSN Messenger. I'll let you know when it's set up.
KC Clark
developer.

Post by KC Clark »

Hey, I tried sending you a P.M. with a link attached but it didn't want to work. Anyway, these are what I came up with on Terragen:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm17 ... ky_001.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm17 ... ky_002.jpg
The first one isn't too bad. The second, I started playing around with the atmosphere and light settings and, well, I don't know what happened.
Anyway, any idea how I can "skybox" these images.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Well first you need to make sure your camera is in the perfect middle. Set the camera to "terrain units" (at the top), and (assuming your terrain is 256x256 (default)) make the "camera position" 128, 128, 128. Now make the "target position" 128, 256, 128 and this will be facing up/north and you'll see the white figure showing this. "Fixed height above surface" value can be anything, so long as both the camera and target are the same, whatever looks good on render. Importantly, you need to set the "zoom" to 100%, so click on the "camera settings..." button and set it to "1". You also need to make sure your output image is square, 1024x1024 should be good. ;)
After the first render, simply adjust the target position to get all 6 angles, so right/west is now 256, 128, 128, and south is 256, 256, 128. Down/bottom is 128, 128, 0 (middle with Z underneath), and up/top is 128,128,256 (middle with Z above), so that's all pretty easy to make sense of I guess.
Render out all your 6 angles and convert them to TGA files, keep them 1024x1024 because let's face it that's a great res for a skybox these days! Make sure they are saved in \base\env\ as the following:-
"kcskybox_back.tga"
"kcskybox_down.tga"
"kcskybox_forward.tga"
"kcskybox_left.tga"
"kcskybox_right.tga"
"kcskybox_up.tga"
Notice up is actually up, not north with is forward, and back is not down. Heh, I'm sure you get that. Infact to make sure everything has worked, you can open kcskybox_forward.tga and paste kcskybox_right.tga next to it, and look for any seams. If no seams then get it into the game, you need a material like this:-

textures/kcclark/kcskybox
{
	noFragment
	noShadows
	noOverlays
	forceOpaque
	qer_editorimage  env/kcskybox_forward.tga
	{
	blend add
	cameraCubeMap  env/kcskybox
	texgen skybox
	}
}
Notice that you only need the name of your skybox at "cameraCubeMap" because it will automatically figure out how to use the kcskybox_*.tga files, but they need the naming convention I listed above, exactly like that, but obviously "kcskybox" can be called anything. So yeah, that all should at least get it in-game to check out. Next we can talk about how to make it more "alive", if you'd like. Let me know. ;)
Last edited by LDAsh on (080330)(02:03.10), edited 1 time in total.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

I forgot to mention, you probably need to take the "*_top" image and rotate it, I can't remember, I haven't actually used Terragen for a very long time, but I remember having to rotate the top, I think it's because of the "head" value, you can set the camera target above/below but it keeps that head value from before. We'll see...
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
KC Clark
developer.

Post by KC Clark »

Thanks LD, I see what I can come up with. I was using this for a skybox template:

textures/kc_tex/kc_skies/<insert_tex_name>
{
		qer_editorimage	textures/kc_tex/kc_skies/<insert_tex_name>_back

noFragment
	noshadows
	noimpact
	nooverlays
	{

cameraCubeMap	textures/kc_tex/kc_skies/<insert_tex_name>
		texgen		skybox

}
}
I (ahem) "borrowed" it from some map I downloaded. :wink:
I give your's a try.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Cool, and try this line under your "texgen skybox" line for some fun:-
texgen wobblesky 1 1 1
:P
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
KC Clark
developer.

Post by KC Clark »

I was fooling around with some .mtr files. I modified a scrolling tex I use for water and came up with this madness:
http://hosted.filefront.com/KCClark/
Now, if this map doesn't work right let me know. I was going to give the link to this new kid (well, new to Doom3world.org) as an example of water uses.
But he tends to whine when he can't get things right the first time so that's why I wanted you to "test" it for me first. Hey, you might like what I did anyway. So come on in, the water's fine. :)
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Hey KC, I was meaning to check out this yesterday, but my damn video card in my desktop machine seems to finally be dying, and my laptop here isn't powerful enough to run Doom3 engine. It _can_, but normalmaps get all screwed up and it's not really good for viewing materials/textures, so it'd be futile giving you feedback about your water if I can't view it properly. Don't know when I'll get it fixed.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

I don't know if you're still around KC, but I finally managed to get some good camera/target stuff scripted for maps! It's awesome stuff. Thanks to yourself and rich_is_bored, I got a camera to constantly lock on a target_null while both are moving, bound to func_bobbing entities. So thanks to you two, I can finally do some cool cinematic stuff and make some decent videos.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════