CC idTech3

...futuristic assault-hovercraft racing at high-speed...
LDAsh
moderator.

CC idTech3

Post by LDAsh »

Just as a quick experiment and a "get it done" measure, Chaos Circuits has quickly jumped to the loved and trusted Quake III Arena engine ("idTech3") and even though the idea is only a few days old, things are looking up for the project already:-
[ external image ]
The flare effects in this shot are real-time and behaving like champions. The project will rely greatly on building up a reliable team for it, mostly for getting maps done, but if new members can be found then it's guaranteed to reach a playable beta stage very quickly because of the copius amounts (up to 1GB) of in-game assets already in existence.
So we'll see how this turns out. In the meantime, it's great to have Incinerator around again, the guy making this whole thing possible and the brains behind what makes it more than just shiny graphics.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

I'm going through all the abilities and techniques of the engine over again, and everything has really advanced since 2002, and on top of that this project is advancing things even more to get the most out of it. This shot shows alpha-blended terrain, fog and skybox, it's all pretty high-res and there's a lot going on so the environment is always seeming constantly alive and I feel at home with the .shader files once again, able to do all the things that can't be done with Quake IV and really push them right to the brink.
[ external image ]
Next I will get particles, water and some other special shaders done, which then lays out all the templates for the first media pack to be done and uploaded for mappers to create tracks with.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
desmasic
guest.

Post by desmasic »

HOT stuff.

Now you just have to pick an engine that can be sold :P
Last edited by desmasic on (240327)(08:03.34), edited 1 time in total.
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Like I said, this is more about "getting it done" than any big aspirations. No game comes easy or cheaply, so you might as well get the -game- done and think about any aspirations for it once it's in beta and being played. This is the mistake we made with Torque. If we cared about money, it would probably be using perhaps the C4 engine or AMP2 or something like that right now, but we chose Quake 3 Arena because we know it, and know exactly how to do it.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Couple of quick shots of the big tunnel textures (for you guessed it = tunnels!) and more crazy light effects of the "garage":-
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

I wish I could say "more soon", but that depends on how the team can recruit mappers.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
desmasic
guest.

Post by desmasic »

Nice. Are those textures going to be transparent so you can see the whole world around when racing?
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Sure, there's no reason these textures can't have semitransparency. Still working on preparing enough to make an outside area interesting though.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Dark Knight ez
developer.

Post by Dark Knight ez »

*copy pastes Blade Runner skyline footage as skybox to make for an interesting outside area*

In all seriousness, it's good to hear it's that easy to add transparency to this tunnel. Would indeed make it a lot less claustrophobic and a lot more eye candy. Having said that, I do like the texture for it. :)
LDAsh
moderator.

Post by LDAsh »

Dark Knight ez wrote:pastes Blade Runner skyline
We tink teh same taught. I'd been working on such a skybox before but it never got finished, because I need to make a lots of skyscrapers to put into it, more or less the same scrapers that'd be present in realtime 3D in front of it too, to really give the illusion of a giant damn metropolis. Will also use half-pipes and cover all buildings with a special brush (surface) to make hovercraft explode on impact, so will be able to come speeding outta the halfpipe and into a firey death.
════════════════════════
══════════════════
════════════
══════
Dark Knight ez
developer.

Post by Dark Knight ez »

I'd like all that.
Will the environment also contain the following?
- Huge LCD/Plasma screens which give us so much light (rays) that it's teh awesome? (e.g. the blimp scene in Blade Runner)
- Flames/Explosions coming out of the skyscrapers?

Or would that be considered too much of a steal. *shifty eyes*